Thursday, February 20, 2003

[2/20/2011] On the Devil's cue, Faust and Marguerite come together, and damn the consequences (continued)

>


I know we haven't quite gotten to Faust and Marguerite's coming together, but in case you were thinking there was a chance in hell this might end happily, here's Faust, backed up by the Devil, trying to rescue the deranged Marguerite in prison for the murder of her illegitimate baby. This is the 1985 Philadelphia production we've been hearing with Valerie Masterson as Marguerite, Alain Vanzo as Faust, and James Morris as Méphistophélès, Serge Baudo conducting.


BEFORE WE PROCEED WITH THE GARDEN SCENE, AS
YOU KNOW, WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING


I indicated in the previews that we might spend some time with the opening scene of Faust. It is, for me, one of the great expressions of existential angst in the creative literature, and therefore, although the scene isn't that long, it's just too weighty an undertaking for a quick hit, so instead I'm going to combine our usual rehearing of the very opening of the opera with just a glimpse of the opening scene.

First we hear Giuseppe di Stefano, from the same 1949 Faust as the "Salut, demeure" we heard Friday night. Then we hear a very respectable more modern performance by Richard Leech. Then we hear Franco Corelli, lousy French and all, for the sheer caliber of the voice. Finally, minus the orchestral introduction but going a bit farther into the scene, we hear Georges Thill, whom we also heard singing "Salut, demeure" Friday.

Faust: Orchestral Introduction and beginning of Opening Scene
Faust's study. It is daybreak. FAUST is seated in front of a table littered with parchments. A book is open in front of him.

Nothing!
In vain I interrogate, in my ardent old age,
nature and the Creator.
Not one voice whispers in my ear
a consoling word.
I have languished sad and solitary,
I have languished sad and solitary,
without being able to break the link
that attaches me to the earth.
I see nothing! I know nothing!
Nothing! Nothing!
[He closes the book and stands up.]
The sky grows pale;
in the face of the new dawn
somber night vanishes.
Another day! Another day that torments!
O Death! when will you come
to shelter me under your wing?
[He pours the contents of a flask into a cup.]
Hail! O my last morning!
Hail! O my last morning!
I arrive without terror
at the limit of my journey,
and I am, with this drink,
the sole master of my destiny
[As he brings the cup to his lips, women's voices reach him from outside.]
Giuseppe di Stefano (t), Faust; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Wilfred Pelletier, cond. Live performance, Dec. 31, 1949
Richard Leech (t), Faust; Orchestra of the Capitole de Toulouse, Michel Plasson, cond. EMI, recorded Feb. 15-28, 1991
Franco Corelli (t), Faust; London Symphony Orchestra, Richard Bonynge, cond. Decca, recorded 1966
Minus the Orchestral Introduction: Georges Thill (t), Faust; orchestra, Eugène Bigot, cond. Pathé, recorded 1930


NOW BACK TO THE GARDEN SCENE DUET

Well, not quite to the duet just yet. First we have decidedly wayward "specialty" versions -- in French, but by unmistakably foreign basses: a live recording from a 1928 Covent Garden performance by the great Russian Feodor Chaliapin, and a 1927 recording by the great bass-baritone Michael Bohnen (not heard at his best, especially in French; don't ask me what the deal is with those trilled "r"s -- and at the end surely he's reverted to the German form "Margarete" instead of "Marguerite"), and then a recording in German by Gottlob Frick.

Faust: Act III, Invocation, Méphistophélès, "Il etait temps" . . . "O nuit, étends sur eux ton ombre"
Not a moment too soon! Beneath the dark boughs
Our lovers are wending their way back. 'Tis fine!
I must take care not to disturb such tender effusions.

O night, spread over them your dark veil!
Love, make their ears deaf to untimely remorse!
And you, subtly scented flowers,
Bloom under this accursed hand of mine
And put the last touch to Marguerite's undoing!
[He vanishes as FAUST and MARGUERITE return.]
Feodor Chaliapin (bs), Méphistophélès; Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Eugene Goossens, cond. EMI, recorded live, June 22, 1928
Michael Bohnen (bs-b), Méphistophélès; orchestra. Brunswick, recorded 1927
In German: Gottlob Frick (bs), Méphistophélès; Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Wilhelm Schüchter, cond. Eurodisc, recorded in the early '60s

Now we have two more "standard" performances: by the Bulgarian bass Nicolai Ghiaurov in his vocally luxurious prime; then, from the 1966 Met performance we've been tracking, the Puerto Rican-born bass-baritone Justino Díaz.

Nicolai Ghaiurov (bs), Méphistophélès; London Symphony Orchestra, Richard Bonynge, cond. Decca, recorded 1966
Justino Diaz (bs-b), Méphistophélès; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Alain Lombard, cond. Live performance, Dec. 24, 1966

On cue, Marguerite and Faust reenter.

Faust: Act III, Duet, Marguerite and Faust, "Il se fait tard," to end of act
MARGUERITE: It is late now . . Farewell . . .
FAUST [detaining her]: What? Must I plead in vain?
Wait!
[A]: track 1, ; [B]: 0:22
Let your hand linger in mine!
Let me gaze on your face
Under the pale beams
Through which your beauty shines, as though
Through a cloud, caressed by the moon.
MARGUERITE: O silence! Happiness! Unutterable mystery!
Rapturous languor!
I listen and I understand this solitary voice
Which sings inside my heart!
[A]: track 1, ; [B]: 2:18
Pray allow me . . .
[She plucks a daisy.]
FAUST: What is all this?
MARGUERITE: A childish game!
Please, allow me!
FAUST: What are your lips whispering?
MARGUERITE [plucking the daisy]: Loves me! Loves me not!
Loves me! Not! Loves me! Not! Loves me!
FAUST: Yes, believe this flower, blooming under your feet!
Let your heart hear it as the voice of heaven itself!
He loves you!
Do you understand this sweet and sublime word?
To love! To carry in our hearts
A constantly renewed flame!
To be forever drunk with eternal bliss!
[A]: track 2; [B]: 3:22
FAUST and MARGUERITE: Eternal! Eternal!
[A]: track 2, ; [B]: 3:57
FAUST: O night of love, radiant sky,
O sweet transports!
Silent bliss
Instils heaven
Into both our souls!
[A]: track 2, ; [B]: 4:30
MARGUERITE: I want to love and worship you!
Speak again! I am yours!
I adore you! I would die for you!
FAUST: Marguerite.
MARGUERITE: Ah, you must leave!
FAUST: Cruel girl!
MARGUERITE": I can hardly bear it!
FAUST: Must I then part from you ?
MARGUERITE [entreating him]: Leave me!
Ah, you must go, yes, at once!
I tremble, alas, I am afraid!
Please, do not break
Marguerite's heart! etc.
FAUST: You want me to leave you!
See how unhappy I am! . . . Alas!
[A]: track 2, ; [B]: 5:50
Marguerite! Marguerite!
You are breaking my heart!
I beseech you!
MARGUERITE: If you love me...
FAUST: Marguerite!
MARGUERITE: By your love, by this avowal
Which I should not have spoken,
Give in to my plea,
Give in to my wishes!
You must go, yes, etc.
FAUST : You want me, alas, to leave you, etc.
[A]: track 2, ; [B]: 7:39
Divine purity!
Chaste innocence,
Whose power
Triumphs over my will!
I obey. But tomorrow...
MARGUERITE: Yes, tomorrow, as soon as day breaks!
Tomorrow! For ever!
FAUST: Just one more word!
Repeat once more this sweet avowal.
You love me?
MARGUERITE [breaks free, runs to her door and turns to blow him a kiss]: Farewell!
[She runs into the cottage.]
FAUST: Heavenly bliss! Ah, let's go!
[A]: track 3; [B]: 9:07
MEPHISTOPHELES: Madcap!
FAUST: You were listening to us?
MEPHISTOPHELES: And a good thing too!
You stand in sore need
Of some more schooling, doctor!
FAUST: Leave me alone!
MEPHISTOPHELES: Pray, just listen for a moment
To what she has to tell the stars,
Dear master.
[A]: track 3, ; [B]: 9:48
Look! She is opening her window!
[Marguerite stands at the window.]
MARGUERITE: He loves me! My heart is in a turmoil!
The bird is singing, the wind rustling,
All the voices of Nature
Seem to chorus in my ear:
"He loves you!". Ah, how sweet life is!
Heaven smiles at me, the air intoxicates me!
Does the leaf shake and flutter
With pleasure and with love?
Tomorrow! Ah, hurry back,
Dear beloved! Come!
FAUST [rushes to the window and grasps Marguerite's hand] Marguerite!
MARGUERITE: Ah! . . .
MEPHISTOPHELES: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
[A]
Geraldine Farrar (s), Marguerite; Enrico Caruso (t), Faust; Marcel Journet (bs), Méphistophélès; orchestra. Victor, recorded January 1910
[B]
Gabriella Tucci (s), Marguerite; John Alexander (t), Faust; Justino Díaz (bs-b), Méphistophélès; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Alain Lombard, cond. Live performance, Dec. 24, 1966

If you've been waiting to hear Valerie Masterson -- who got us into this whole Faust business in the first place -- singing this scene, here she is. This time let's hear this whole chunk, with Méphisto's "Invocation" running into the duet, and on to the end of the act.

Faust: Act III, Invocation, Méphistophélès, "Il était temps" . . . "O nuit, étends sur eux ton ombre!" . . . Duet, Marguerite and Faust, "Il se fait tard," to end of act

Valerie Masterson (s), Marguerite; Alain Vanzo (t), Faust; James Morris (bs-b), Méphistophélès; Orchestra of the Opera Company of Philadelphia, Serge Baudo, cond. Live performance, 1985


RETURN TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POST
#

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home